The Resource Battle of New Market, May 13-15, 1864, Mark C. Collier, (map)
- Battle of New Market, May 13-15, 1864, Mark C. Collier, (map)
- Statement of responsibility
- Mark C. Collier
- "This map-packet is designed to supplement reading material and to be taken to the field. It consists of four parts: an outline of the battle including a glossary and a list of references, the maps and overlay, a locator schematic, and an operations matrix [for both Union and Confederate units]."
- Various phases of the battle are represented using different map sheets depicting the terrain the way it was in 1864: the main battle; cavalry action, 13 May and initial movements, 15 May, 11:00 am.; and the Second Union delay line, 15 May (about noon). The overlay map depicts current twentieth century surroundings (ex: I-81 and other routes, local businesses, etc.)
- The battle of New Market employed approx. 8,000 soldiers total and was the only battle in the Civil War where cadets (from the Virginia Military Institute) fought as a unit. This day-long encounter saw forces of Confederate Maj. Gen. John C. Breckinridge defeat those of Union Maj. Gen. Franz Sigel
- Accompanying material
- accompanying text ( sheets.
- Special Collections
- Scale 1:24,000. 1 inch = 585 yds. (less than 1/3 mile)
- Control code
- 28 x 22 cm. +
- 4 maps, incl. 1 map overlay
- Other physical details
ContextContext of Battle of New Market, May 13-15, 1864, Mark C. Collier, (map)
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance Battle of New Market, May 13-15, 1864, Mark C. Collier, (map)
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/foHdpmszTrk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/foHdpmszTrk/">Battle of New Market, May 13-15, 1864, Mark C. Collier, (map)</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/">James Madison University Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by James Madison University Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.