The Resource Dickerman papers, 1969-1995- ,
- Dickerman papers, 1969-1995- ,
- Inclusive dates
- 1969-1995- ,
- Title variation
- Ernest M. Dickerman papers
- Ernest M. Dickerman collection
- National parks and reserves -- United States | Virginia
- Rich Hole Roadless Area (Va.)
- Forest reserves -- Recreational use
- Virginia Wilderness Committee
- Wildlife conservationists -- Virginia
- Forest management
- Lobbyists -- United States
- National parks and reserves -- United States | Southern Region
- Dickerman, Ernest M, 1910-1998 -- Correspondence
- United States.
- Wilderness areas -- Law and legislation
- United States -- History
- Wildlife management
- Jefferson National Forest
- Environmental protection -- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- Citizen participation
- Mountain Lake Wilderness Area (Va.)
- Wilderness areas -- Virginia -- Management
- Wilderness Society
- Saint Mary's Wilderness (Va.)
- Lobbying -- Law and legislation
- George Washington National Forest (Va. and W. Va.)
- United States.
- Forest reserves -- Multiple use
- Ramsey's Draft Wilderness (Va.)
- Forest policy -- United States -- History
- Dickerman, Ernest M, 1910-1998
- United States.
- United States.
- Sierra Club
- Wildlife refuges -- United States -- Southern Region
- Peters Mountain Wilderness Area (Va.)
- James River Face Wilderness Area (Va.)
- Forests and forestry -- History
- The bulk of this collection consists of records associated with the origin and activity of the Virginia Wilderness Committee (VWC). Papers from Series I (pre-1976) consist of the organization's files and other related information, primarily on state issues. It is arranged alphabetically by subject and includes references to: various wilderness sites such as Assateague, Back Creek/Pumped Storage Project, Back Bay, Big Levels/St. Mary's, Bull Run Mountain, Crawford Mountain, Cumberland Gap, Dismal Swamp, Gathright, Hipes Dam, James River Face/Cave Mtn. Lake, Laurel Fork Wilderness, Little River, Little Stoney, Mason Neck, Massanutten, Mt. Rogers, Mountain Lake/Peters Creek/Mill Creek Wilderness, Shenandoah Wilderness, Ramsey's Draft, Rich Hole, Salem Church Dam; and Va. State parks and national parks in general (also, the Alaska Pipeline). Information on organizations include: the Central Atlantic Environmental Center, the Conservation Council of Va., and Va. Sierra Club groups. There also is specific information on: the Eastern Wilderness Bill; a "press packet;" and Va. Environmental Coor. legislation. VWC papers include business notes, minutes, correspondence, information on their hot line, and newsletters (the latter compiled into one file and kept up-to-date)
- Series II (1976-1995-), organized chronologically, consists of Dickerman's own files, largely correspondence, and includes information on the Va. Wilderness Bill of 1984
- Biographical or historical data
- Ernest M. Dickerman, retired wildlife conservationist and lobbyist for several wilderness organizations, was a charter member of The Wilderness Society, first becoming involved in conservation efforts to preserve the Great Smoky Mountains during the 1930s. He later became a lobbyist for The Society in Washington D.C. Upon retirement in 1976 he moved to Augusta County, Va. where he continued his lobbying efforts for the Virginia wilderness movement as President (1976-1979) and later as a member of the Virginia Wilderness Committee. He died on Aug. 1, 1998.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Dickerman papers, 1969-1995- ,
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Dickerman papers, 1969-1995- ,
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/YHPd2GSj7b0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/YHPd2GSj7b0/">Dickerman papers, 1969-1995- ,</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/">James Madison University Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by James Madison University Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.