The Resource The records of the Marshall Division No. 3 of the Sons of Temperance of the State of Virginia
- The records of the Marshall Division No. 3 of the Sons of Temperance of the State of Virginia
- Mss. Portions containing minutes of individual meetings are signed by secretary
- Some p. blank. A few leaves, probably blank, have been removed; no numbered p. are missing
- Special Collections
- Control code
- 31 cm.
- 9, , 400 p., bound
- Governing access note
- For use, see Special Collections librarian
- Immediate source of acquisition
- Penciled in the gutter of page 1 is the inscription "Wayland-Gift-Oct. 18, 1940."
- The Sons of Temperance was formally organized on September 29, 1842 at Teetotallers Hall, 71 Division Street in New York City where sixteen men adopted the constitution of the organization. The three main objectives of the Sons of Temperance were to "shield us from the evils of intemperance, to afford mutual assistance in case of sickness, and to elevate our characters as men." Located in Harrisonburg, the Marshall Division chartered its constitution on February 22, 1844. After the Civil War the Sons of Temperance was replaced by the Friends of Temperance.
- Two extraneous leaves are laid in. One is a portion of a leaf from a ledger describing financial transactions, the other, is a piece of lined paper on which is drawn a plat of 6 2/3 acres in Rockingham County.
- Presented to the History Museum of the Harrisonburg State Normal School in 1910 by Nina Randolph of Harrisonburg, Va.
ContextContext of The records of the Marshall Division No. 3 of the Sons of Temperance of the State of Virginia
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance The records of the Marshall Division No. 3 of the Sons of Temperance of the State of Virginia
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/P2fr741Oiz0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/P2fr741Oiz0/">The records of the Marshall Division No. 3 of the Sons of Temperance of the State of Virginia</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/">James Madison University Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by James Madison University Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.