The Resource Kemper medical ledger, 1857-1892 ;
- Kemper medical ledger, 1857-1892 ;
- Inclusive dates
- 1857-1892 ;
- Medicine -- Practice -- Virginia -- 19th century -- Sources
- Medical records -- United States -- 19th century -- Sources
- Medicine -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Port Republic (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Local history
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History -- Sources
- Port Republic (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Records and correspondence
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Virginia -- Genealogy -- Sources
- Kemper, George W, 1814-1902
- This ledger was kept by Dr. George W. Kemper, Jr. Entries are by name, with various dates and notes beneath each name. Includes inserts. Although the majority of the entries date from the 1860s, there is little direct mention of the Civil War; yet see note on pg. 30, "killed in battle."
- Biographical or historical data
- George W. Kemper, Jr. 1814-1902, graduated in medicine from Jefferson College, Philadelphia, Pa. and practiced in Port Republic, Va. and its vicinity. He was also active in community affairs, serving as sheriff of Rockingham County in 1851-52, and as commissioner of the school literary fund for County District 10 in 1861. In 1869 he helped found the Rockingham Home Mutual Fire Insurance Company. In June of 1862, Kemper's house, Madison Hall, served as the resting place for Confederate Gen. Turner Ashby's body before it was taken to Charlottesville for burial. According to tradition, Stonewall Jackson was said to have stayed at Madison Hall before the battle of Cross Keys.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Kemper medical ledger, 1857-1892 ;
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Kemper medical ledger, 1857-1892 ;
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/Dz-d2fp0_7s/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/Dz-d2fp0_7s/">Kemper medical ledger, 1857-1892 ;</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/">James Madison University Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by James Madison University Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.