The Resource William Garber photograph collection, 1930-1960, bulk 1935-1950
- William Garber photograph collection, 1930-1960, bulk 1935-1950
- Inclusive dates
- 1930-1960, bulk 1935-1950
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History
- Photographers -- Virginia -- 20th century
- Virginia -- Social life and customs
- Local history
- Garber, William H., (William Hoyle), 1915-1992
- Virginia -- History
- Shenandoah County (Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- Aerial photographs
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Shenandoah County (Va.) -- History
- The William Garber photograph collection, 1930-1960, consists of 2.58 linear feet of material. The bulk of the material was created between 1935 and 1950 and is comprised of about 1605 black and white negatives, 20 color negatives and 70 prints that were taken and developed by William Garber of Garber's Photo Shop in Mount Jackson, Virginia. The subject matter of the images encompasses the people, places, industries, automobiles, sports, events, disasters, etc., of the northern Shenandoah Valley, Virginia; primarily between the cities of Harrisonburg and Woodstock. Also included is a July 1949 issue of The National Geographic Magazine. The collection is organized into thirteen series: Buildings and Places, Industry, Motor Vehicles, Civil and Armed Services, School Photos, Sports and Outdoor Recreation, Horses and Horse Events, Other Events and Entertainment, Accidents and Disasters, Miscellaneous, Aerial Photography, Ephemera, and Photograph Prints
- Biographical or historical data
- William Hoyle Garber was born on 25 May 1915 at Mount Clifton, Virginia. After completing his education in 1933 at the Randolph-Macon Academy in Front Royal, Virginia, he graduated from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute in Blacksburg, Virginia, and married Ethel M. Ritenour on 24 December 1938.
- After fighting in the Pacific Theater as a first lieutenant for the United States Army during World War II, Garber held a number of simultaneous occupations and participated in several different organizations. In addition to owning Garber's Photo Shop and being the president of the Garber-Moyers-Johnson Insurance Agency, Garber was a commander and life member of the Massanutten Post No. 2447, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Edinburg; a member of the Mount Jackson Masonic Lodge No. 103, Chapter No. 162 of the Order of the Eastern Star, serving as its first Worthy Patron; and a member of the American Legion Post No. 199 at Woodstock. Furthermore, he was an active member of the Chamber of Commerce for both Edinburg and Mount Jackson, and he served on the Mount Jackson Town Council for twenty-six years. Of particular relevance to this collection, Garber earned a private pilot's license in 1947, and became known for his aerial photography.
- In 1983, William Garber retired and moved from New Market to Mount Jackson, Virginia. During his retirement, he remained active in many of these organizations, and also played a key role in the founding of the Shenandoah County Historical Society in the 1980s. Garber passed away on 14 May 1992 at the Winchester Medical Center at the age of seventy-six, and was buried at Flat Rock Cemetery in Forestville, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of William Garber photograph collection, 1930-1960, bulk 1935-1950
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work William Garber photograph collection, 1930-1960, bulk 1935-1950
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/CAoOo0ezDR8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/CAoOo0ezDR8/">William Garber photograph collection, 1930-1960, bulk 1935-1950</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/">James Madison University Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by James Madison University Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.