The Resource Gordon W. Miller collection, 1787-2005
- Gordon W. Miller collection, 1787-2005
- Inclusive dates
- Title variation
- Gordon Miller collection
- Miller collection
- These materials were gathered by Gordon W. Miller, History Reference Librarian at James Madison University's Carrier Library from 1977-2003, during more than a decade of research on the life of Gabriel Thomas Barbee and in particular Barbee's role as primary organizer of the Virginia Farmers' Alliance, 1887-1894
- Photocopies of materials documenting Gabriel T. Barbee's influence in the Virginia Farmers' Alliance, 1887-1894
- Biographical or historical data
- Gabriel Thomas Barbee was born in Rappahannock County, Virginia, in 1814. In 1834 he moved to Petersburg in Hardy County (then Virginia, now West Virginia), where he worked as a merchant and a dealer in land. He served in the Virginia Senate from 1847-1851.
- In 1887, after a trip to Texas where he came into contact with Farmers Alliance leaders, Barbee began holding meetings in Bridgewater to form a sub-alliance in Virginia. For the next three years he devoted most of his time to organizing a state Farmers' Alliance, serving as president in 1889 and 1890, by which time the organization had over 30,000 members in 85 county alliances.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Gordon W. Miller collection, 1787-2005
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Gordon W. Miller collection, 1787-2005
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/9aAsPZZKnx0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/resource/9aAsPZZKnx0/">Gordon W. Miller collection, 1787-2005</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.jmu.edu/">James Madison University Libraries</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by James Madison University Libraries. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.