The Resource Valley of Virginia Pen Women records

Valley of Virginia Pen Women records

Label
Valley of Virginia Pen Women records, 1950-2013
Title
Valley of Virginia Pen Women records
Inclusive dates
1950-2013
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
This collection contains the administrative and organizational records and scrapbooks of the Valley of Virginia Branch of the National League of American Pen Women. Materials related to procedural policies and bylaws, branch meeting minutes, newsletters, exhibitions and contests, branch members, photographs, and community women in the arts are included
Related
Biographical or historical data
The National League of American Pen Women (NLAPW) is an organization of professional women in the arts, including artists, writers, and musical composers who celebrate and share creative work. The League's activities include national conventions, biennial conventions, exhibitions and contests, and branch meetings. Application to the organization must be completed with examples of applicant's work, including publications and/or juried artist shows. When first founded in 1897, the organization was called the League of American Pen Women. Marian Longfellow O'Donohue began the organization with fellow professional press women Margaret Sullivan Burke and Anna Sanborne Hamilton. All three women were involved in the press: O'Donohue, niece of poet and literary artist Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, was a poet and writer for the Boston Transcript, the Boston Herald, and The Washington Post; Burke was a capital correspondent; and Hamilton was a Social Editor for The Washington Post and special proof reader for the United States government. These women wanted a literary and press organization for women, since other clubs were reserved for men. In June 1897, they met with seventeen professional women for the organization's first meeting. Artist/illustrator and member, Alice R. Morgan designed the official owl insignia. The League's popularity and membership grew and is popular among women artists, writers, and musical composers still today. The League was incorporated in 1918, began its chartered local branches in 1921, and was renamed The National League of American Pen Women in 1926. Its headquarters is in Washington, D.C. and the organization consists of local branches. The Valley of Virginia Branch was organized and officially certified in 1950 for the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia.
Cataloging source
VMC
Index
no index present
Literary form
non fiction
Label
Valley of Virginia Pen Women records
Link
https://www.lib.jmu.edu/special/manuscripts/SC0025ValleyofVirginiaPenWomen.aspx
Carrier category
volume
Carrier category code
nc
Carrier MARC source
rdacarrier.
Content category
text
Content type code
txt
Content type MARC source
rdacontent.
Control code
956530403
Extent
3 Hollinger boxes, 1 half-size Hollinger box, 3 oversize Hollinger boxes, 2 flat oversize boxes; 4.1 cubic ft.
Governing access note
Collection is open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to James Madison University Special Collections by the Valley of Virginia Branch in October 2014.
Media category
unmediated
Media MARC source
rdamedia.
Media type code
n
Organization method
The collection is arranged in two series: Series 1: Organizational Records, 1950-2012; Series 2: Scrapbooks, 1950-2013. All series are arranged chronologically.

Library Locations

    • Special Collections Research CenterBorrow it
      Carrier Library Second Floor Room 203, MSC 1704, 880 Madison Drive, Harrisonburg, VA, 22807, US
      38.438299 -78.8741916
Processing Feedback ...