The Resource The history of the Church of the Good Shepherd : from Communion to community in Folly Mills, Virginia, Part of an oral history project, Nancy Sorrells

The history of the Church of the Good Shepherd : from Communion to community in Folly Mills, Virginia, Part of an oral history project, Nancy Sorrells

Label
The history of the Church of the Good Shepherd : from Communion to community in Folly Mills, Virginia, Part of an oral history project
Title
The history of the Church of the Good Shepherd : from Communion to community in Folly Mills, Virginia
Title part
Part of an oral history project
Statement of responsibility
Nancy Sorrells
Title variation
Church of the Good Shepherd oral history project
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
  • This monograph provides a short history of the Church of the Good Shepherd, located at Folly Mills near Staunton, Va. on U.S. Rt. 11. Beginning as a non-denominational school in the early 1920s, it soon evolved into an Episcopal church with the main building being built in 1924. Although a small rural church, it has remained active. This history includes references to founding members; the construction of the building; factual information about services, clergy, church organizations (Women's Auxiliary, Ladies Society, Girls Friendly Society); prominent families; and relations with a nearby one-room public school (which closed in 1929). Also included is information about church education and social events (Sunday schools; lawn parties; and homecomings). Mention is also made of relief efforts for two Netherlands families following World War II
  • Accompanies copies of a finding aid to the Church's records and sample documents, including architectural drawings and photographs of church events and Sunday school classes; an advertisement for a lawn party; programs from Children's Day Services and the twenty-fifth homecoming anniversary; and pictures and correspondence with the two Dutch families
Cataloging source
VMC
Illustrations
illustrations
Index
no index present
Literary form
non fiction
Series statement
James Madison University sound archives
Series volume
no. 13-1.
Label
The history of the Church of the Good Shepherd : from Communion to community in Folly Mills, Virginia, Part of an oral history project, Nancy Sorrells
Publication
Note
  • Oral history background paper for an "archival internship, December 15, 1992."
  • Forms part of the Church of the Good Shepherd oral history project. For ACCESS TO THE COMPLETE COLLECTION including an accompanying group interview conducted by Nancy Sorrells, see Special Coll. call number SdArch nos.13-1 through 13-2. (Tape only: Special Coll. SdArch no.13-2)
  • STACK COPY: Background paper, transcript and accompanying text documents only. Call no.: BX5917.V8 S66 1992
Accompanying material
1 transcription + copies of selected documents from Church archives [22 leaves] + finding aid to the Church's records [5] leaves.
Bibliography note
Bibliography: leaf [24]
Control code
41270603
Dimensions
28 cm. +
Extent
[24] leaves

Library Locations

    • Special Collections Research CenterBorrow it
      Carrier Library Second Floor Room 203, MSC 1704, 880 Madison Drive, Harrisonburg, VA, 22807, US
      38.438299 -78.8741916
Processing Feedback ...