The Resource Bethlehem Stone Church records

Bethlehem Stone Church records

Label
Bethlehem Stone Church records, 1844-2011
Title
Bethlehem Stone Church records
Inclusive dates
1844-2011
Creator
Subject
Genre
Language
eng
Summary
The Bethlehem Stone Church Records consist of 47 pdf files that contain 1.08 GB of material that date from the church's first year of operation in 1844 through 2011. The records document church business, governance, and day-to-day operations, as well as the history of the church. Materials include meeting minutes, financial records, attendance and membership records, church programming materials, photographs, and scrapbooks. The earliest documents in the collection include a record of the first organization of the church in August of 1844 and a list of original members. Also contained in the collection are materials documenting the activities of the Sunday School as well as the Women's Fellowship, a women's group within the church. Church history materials include scrapbooks as well as written histories that provide details on the institutional history of the church and the Tenth Legion area
Biographical or historical data
Bethlehem United Church of Christ, commonly called Bethlehem Stone Church, is located in Tenth Legion, just south of New Market, Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley. It was founded in 1844 when Jacob Martz deeded a parcel of land in Tenth Legion to be used as the site for a place of worship. A committee of trustees consisting of John Cowan, Jacob Cowan, Martin Martz, Dorilas Martz, and Jackson Martz was then appointed to superintend the building of the church and Jeremiah Clemons, a local stonemason, was chosen for construction. The church was completed in 1845 and the stone church remained the sole house of worship until 1952 when a second church building was constructed. During the Civil War the church was used to house Confederate prisoners and also as a makeshift military hospital. The structure was badly damaged during the war and was not repaired until the 1880s. Please see the item titled Written Histories, 1948-1995 in the Church History Materials series for a detailed history of the church and the stone structure. After the Civil War the church was used by several different denominations including the Christian Church, the United Brethren in Christ, and the German Baptist Church. The congregation worshipped in the Stone Church until 1952 when a larger brick church was built on the land beside it. In 1981 Bethlehem Stone Church was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register and in 1985 to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2008 restoration began to the old stone church and was completed in 2011. The structure is now used for special events.
Cataloging source
VMC
Index
no index present
Literary form
non fiction
Label
Bethlehem Stone Church records
Link
http://www.lib.jmu.edu/special/manuscripts/5037Bethlehem.aspx
Control code
855013174
Extent
47 pdf files; 1.08 GB.
Form of item
electronic
Governing access note
For use, see Special Collections librarian
Immediate source of acquisition
Documents lent to James Madison Special Collections for digitization in 2012.
Organization method
Series 1. Administrative Records, 1844-1979 ; Series 2. Ladies Aid Society/Women's Fellowship, 1912-1974 ; Series 3. Sunday School, 1894-1948 ; Series 4. Church History Materials, 1875-2011.

Library Locations

    • Special Collections Research CenterBorrow it
      Carrier Library Second Floor Room 203, MSC 1704, 880 Madison Drive, Harrisonburg, VA, 22807, US
      38.438299 -78.8741916
Processing Feedback ...